Wednesday, February 17, 2010

One of My Best Days


Since I wanted to be relatively close in time to Valentine's Day, and that was something that I had been thinking about, I went ahead and made my last post before this one, (and this one is full of good news!)


On February 6, my nephew, Colton David Cowart was born! It was so exciting! That evening before, I was at church listening to the sermon or whatever,(during a Friday evening service), and I got a text from my mom saying that Natalie was having pains and when she got home she was going to take some castor oil to try and induce labor! Well, after I got home and she was home she drank Castor Oil in orange juice and she drank raspberry tea!

So, then nothing really happened still. Of course her contractions picked up, but nothing happened quickly so we just all went to bed. Well, around 4:30 in the morning Natalie's water broke! She quickly stood up and her and Luke rode off to the hospital, since they pretty much had all of their bags packed anyways.

At the hospital, we pretty much stuck around all day. She was progressing very slowly, like one centimeter every two hours or so, maybe even slower. But, once she got to four centimeters things really started picking up! At one second she was told five, then about twenty minutes later eight, and then just minutes later Natalie was saying it was time to push NOW.

So, we were ushered out of the room and we waited in the hall while she began pushing at about four o' clock. In the hall we were all nervous and jittery and excited at the same time. It was impossible for me to fathom that I was about to experience the miracle of life! And then, while she was pushing, we heard silence in the room except for the doctor talking, and we all looked around at each other with tears in our eyes. And, can I tell you, when I heard that precious baby cry for the first time in his life, I started crying so much. This was the sweetest sound I had ever heard, there is no way to describe it. I don't see how anyone can have an experience like that and not believe in God... much less if you are actually there in the room.

It took what seemed forever for them to do all the things that are necessary to clean up and meanwhile Luke, with tears in his eyes, came out to tell us he was the proud father of a perfectly healthy little boy. His name is Colton David Cowart, 7 pounds 3.6 ounces, and 21 inches long. He was absolutely beautiful. When we walked in the room, Natalie's mom held him first, then my dad, and I don't really remember the order after that! All I know is that he had these big blue eyes and, despite the fact that he had been born less than an hour before, he was just a looking around the room. Jessica held him right before me and immediately burst into tears, and it was so sweet! Then I got to hold him for the first time and that little boy just made me fall in love with him at once. He looked into my eyes and I looked into his and it was awesome.
When Grandad held him, he prayed over Colton and that was yet another tearjerker! I know God is going to have a big hand in this little boy's life, in fact, I think he already has!!

The day quickly ended after that and I felt so blessed that I got to experience that and that I will be able to be apart of Colton's life. That is easily going to be one of my best days.

I can not imagine, if I ever have the privilege, getting married and having my own family. I feel like I have tasted just a tiny bite of a new and amazing type of love, and oh am I hungry for more! :) But, I will see what God has in store for me, and I want to live for his glory no matter the cost... Honestly, it scares me now that I may never have something like that, but I have to trust that he knows what he's doing up there! At least I can be pretty confidant that I will have many nieces and nephews, and that is definately something to be excited about.

I was looking online last night and found these listings for medical missions, which got me really excited! I never knew there were so many opportunities for nurses to go on missions, and I am looking forward to being able to do that one day in the near future, (I mean, to think of it, I will be a nurse in 2 years and 3 months, God willing!)

Oh, and the Saints won the superbowl! How 'bout them apples?!

No comments:

Post a Comment