Friday, April 3, 2009

Hide behind a book

I am guilty of this:
I retreat into books. Whether it be my trusty bible, a journal, or just a really good novel, I will always feel better about life in general when I read a book. Books that are boring to me include the following: a biography of myself. What I mean is that books provide an easy escape to get away from my life and be able to experience emotions that I don't just get to use every day. In books, I have fallen in love with Mr. Darcy and Gilbert, cried when Little Ann died and my favorite brother got killed in WWI, been in shock on finding out that my husband cheated on me with my assistant, experienced despair when moving to another country, and camped out on a mountain all winter long.

Books are like a little vacation that I can go to when some things in life are just not going my way at all. Usually I am reading three or four books at once. I have my daily reading with the bible, but then I have novels too. (Oh and of course I read the news on the internet every day!) Whichever mood I am in at the moment, I pick the books that is going to be the best to me at the moment.

My favorites to choose from are the Anne of Green Gables (particularly Rilla of Ingleside), Emma, Dr. Doolittle, and the Pretties. Some books just have an all around appeal to me.

Just this week the library was having a book sale (yayyyy) and I was able to buy several books (about 7 or 8, I don't remember) for only 5 bucks!! One was an American History book (just because I love American History thanks to my 11th grade teacher), another was a nice old (and beautiful) copy of Jane Austen's popular Pride and Prejudice. The others were various books that seemed good to me at the moment.

One of the books is about Dinah, (you know, one of Jacob's daughters). She got raped or whatever and Jacob's sons took out a whole city because of it. But, I thought it would be interesting to hear her side of the story (although it is fiction).

But, anyways, I won't hold off any longer. I will now go devour some literature!

1 comment:

  1. I miss reading books like that! When I graduate I will definitely make up for lost time : )

    ReplyDelete